Planning on traveling this summer? Traveling and vacations are all about relaxing and enjoying ourselves. Here are some tips on using your credit card while traveling to keep your vacation chill:
Notify your credit card company that you will be traveling: Before you start your trip, be sure to inform your credit card issuer where you will be going, and when you’ll be back. Many credit card issuers use fraud detection software to monitor any odd transactions that could be a sign of fraud. If you are traveling and using your card outside of your normal geographic area, your credit card could be declined or suspended while your credit card issuer tries to reach you to determine if your card has been compromised. It’s best to setup travel alerts through your online card management account like Arvest CardManager or by calling your credit card issuer to notify them of your travel dates.
- Be aware of your surroundings: Just because you are on vacation, it doesn’t mean you need to let your guard down when it comes to your personal and financial safety. For example, when using your credit card at an unfamiliar ATM or gas pump, be sure you check for skimming devices before you insert your card. Also, opt to use your credit card to make purchases over debit cards or cash. Most credit cards include zero fraud liability policies that protect you from paying for fraudulent purchases charged to your account. Set up purchase alerts like Visa® Purchase Alerts that provide near real-time updates on your Visa® credit card activity.
- Know before you go: Before hitting the road, make sure you know a few things about your credit card. Will your card work where you’re going? Is it commonly accepted? If traveling overseas, will there be any foreign transactions fees? These are all good questions to ask your credit card issuer and research before you pack that credit card.
- Pack the Perks: When it comes to travel, not all credit cards are created equal. Many cards offer perks just for traveling that you might not be aware of when using it for everyday purchases. Check to see if your credit card offers special travel perks like:
- Concierge services
- Emergency assistance services like emergency cash disbursement
- Roadside assistance
- TSA PreCheck or Global Entry Credit
Plus, look for a card that offers rewards! This can really make your travel dollars go further when you use your rewards credit card to book travel or while on your trip. You can earn rewards points that you can redeem to book future travel or you can redeem your points to get cash back.
Keeping these tips in mind will help make your summer travel smooth. Traveling with a credit card is convenient, gives you a record of your purchases, provides more security than cash or debit cards and can include extra travel perks. Arvest credit cards provide a suite of Visa benefits and local customer service to provide peace of mind no matter where your adventures take you. Looking for a new credit card? Learn more here.